So I’m on Day 6 of giving up refined sugars, and I’m pretty shocked at the ubiquitousness of sugar in a large number of my favourite foods.
I used to think that I was a pretty educated food consumer, but these sugar-containing foods are the latest ones I’ve come across that make me scratch my head in wonder:
- Miracle Whip dressing
- turkey kolbassa sausage
- processed deli ham, salami, and pepperoni
I’ve found that I need to be rather resourceful when working around sugar-containing foods. Bread’s a pretty easy one to manage – I have long been a fan of Artisan Bread in Five Minutes that only contains flour, yeast, water and salt. However, there are some tricky foods where there aren’t any quick and easy alternatives on the grocery store shelf:
- Pretty much every commercial salad dressing contains sugar in some form, so I’ve resorted to lime juice and freshly ground pepper on my salads, which is unexpectedly good.
- Burger toppings are tricky; ketchup and relish are loaded with sugar. I’ve used hummus as a very tasty burger topping.
- I made my own mayonnaise for my burger this past weekend; although it was a bit thin, it still was very tasty. Just be sure to not keep any leftovers; mayonnaise is made with raw eggs, so it’s best to only make what you need and throw the rest out.
- Cookies and other baked goods are tricky; but my friend Jen passed on a completely delicious cookie recipe that is sweetened with real maple syrup and is also egg-free!
I’ve been experimenting with substituting molasses in place of sugar for my baking with…mixed results. But that’s destined for another blog post.
Keep the sugar-free recipes coming, peeps! I can’t wait to try them!